Perhaps this post is a bit late however Christmas can’t be too far from most people mind’s. It is pretty much the biggest holiday in North America. It even reaches us in Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico, 12 hours from the US border. Although our family is different from most families. We don’t celebrate Christmas or any traditional holidays. Yes, we are Christians, and yes, we do believe in Jesus. If you would like to know why we don’t celebrate Christmas you can visit this link: Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Christmas?
However, in this post I want to address the fact that not celebrating Christmas is good for our family. Here’s why:
- We give our kids gifts spontaneously throughout the year. They love surprises and they don’t expect anything from us on a certain date.
- We don’t have to save money for months at a time to use as Christmas gift money for all our family and friends every year.
- There is no stress during the holiday season for us. Well, at least no stress from holidays… our family still has stress :-)
- We feel good about our decision to not participate in Christmas. We believe we are pleasing God by remaining firm in His Word.
- Our children are learning how to defend their faith from the Bible and they are learning that being different can be a good thing.
My intention in writing this article is not to offend anyone. Only to educate. When I was a kid certain individuals felt bad for me because my family did not celebrate Christmas. I never understood their reasoning. I never felt like I was missing out on anything. I was loved and spoiled by my wonderful parents. Of course I was an only child so it was easy for them to spoil me. Although I am pretty sure that our four kids are spoiled too and I mean spoiled in a good way. I mean loved :-) So this is us. We don’t celebrate Christmas and it is good for our family. Signing off, Tina